Have you recently come across some old documents and photos you’d like to keep so that you and future generations of your family can continue to learn more about your family’s history? Or maybe you have some old films or books you’d like to preserve.
Keep reading for some tips for preserving these valuable and meaningful historical items. Then, if you’d like to look into digitizing documents services, contact our expert team at Microfilm Equipment & Supplies, Inc. We have all of the equipment needed to create digital uploads of any historical document or item you may have.
- Don’t drink, eat or smoke around historical documents or photos, or you may risk staining or damaging these meaningful items.
- Don’t apply chemical treatments designed to protect historical documents from age and damage. Amateurs and hobbyists typically don’t have the skills and expertise needed to use these treatments correctly, so you risk causing damage to your historical documents or photos. Instead, follow the guidelines outlined earlier in this post for suggested storage.
- Don’t place tape or adhesive substances on historical documents. You want to ensure they remain in their original condition to the greatest extent possible.
- Don’t use regular printer paper to save your photos, as this can result in fading. Acid-free (or archival) paper will ensure that fading does not occur.
- Don’t store documents in the attic, basement or uninsulated garage, as these spaces tend to be subject to changes in temperature and may also be susceptible to water damage
Now that you understand more about how to preserve your and your family’s historical documents and materials, you might want to consider having access to these items in digital form. The team at Microfilm Equipment and Supplies, Inc. offers high-quality digitizing documents services that will allow you to maintain digital versions of your family’s most important memories and records. Contact us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by admin